Thursday, November 5, 2009

Heavy Seas

When I'm chillin and all of a sudden I start feeling the ship rock a little and I look at the news on the TV attached to the wall, the "bulkhead", and I see that there is a storm coming, and next thing I hear is the loudspeaker, the "1mc" say "the main deck is secured due to heavy seas and strong winds", all I think is FUCK!!! tonight is going to suck!" People say that you get used to the feeling but I'm having a hard time believing that.
The young sailors are looking irritable, the old salts are looking cocky, talkin about how they're all being wussies for not being able to handle it. FUCK THEM! cocky bastards. I got to thinking about these old salts and how i'm still not used to the feeling of heavy seas and how everybody still seems to be pissed off when it gets stormy. and this is what I came up with:

Getting your "sea legs" doesn't mean that you are immune to the feeling of seasickness. It just means that you have experienced it enough to where you just don't wanna bitch about how shitty you feel.

That's my hypothesis anyway. maybe it's true maybe it's not but I know that I'm definitely feeling the motion of the ocean and I'm feeling like a bowl of lotion. All woogly inside. Whatever you think the word woogly feels like, that's probably what I feel like right now. I don't wanna throw up but I feel like crap.

On another note, my work is going good. I'm getting the hang of how to do a lot of things with the computers. Today I spent a lot of the time trying to fix this one computer in the "Boat Shop" and it was kinda fun trying all these different ideas to isolate the problem, check the cable, check the computer, check the computer on a different cable, check the computer and the same cable on a different drop box. Eventually with a little help from Stinger and Tomczak we got it working but the knowledge is coming along nicely. I also finished my EKMS User qual today so that's good to have another PQS out of the way.

We get to Vietnam in a few days and I'm thinking I may have taken a college course a bit too easy, i got a lot on my plate and it's making me have to give up working out. I worked out today though, heavy seas and all. It wasn't as bad as I thought. It was a strange feeling.

Hopefully tomorrow brings some calmer weather....doubt it

No comments:

Post a Comment