Wednesday, December 2, 2009

We All Have Similar Stories

So far, in every new home the navy has made for me, which is really only 3, I find friends that all seem to have similar backgrounds, thought processes, goals, and self concepts as me. Some force surrounds me with people that are the type of people that I would generally like to be with. Birds of a feather often flock together as the saying goes.
Me and all the people I've met in the navy came from the similar crews. The one that doesn't really do too many illegal things, but it's pretty clear isn't about to do anything great either. The one that everybody knows the guys and loves them but they don't always get the best grades and aren't going to go to any major universities for sports. They may be smart guys and great athletes but something about the system just doesn't quite fit their skill sets. Then they start to fall behind after graduation, dropping out of community college or getting in trouble with the law.
That's where the people that I've met come in. We were the ones who didn't let that happen to us. We could have easily stayed home and done those things but we were the ones who knew that we were something special and that we were going to do something great and we needed a first step to do it. We all have different goals in mind but we all share the knowledge that we want our lives to be honored for great things.
My dad once told me that the friends you meet in the navy will be different from any other friends you may ever have. Maybe not better, but different in that there is some sort of understanding and respect that will never diminish. He told me that they will be the type of friends that even if you haven't talked to them in 20 years you can look them up if you're in town and they will open their doors and let you spend the night and have dinner with their family. It's really pretty amazing. I honestly feel that way about everyone that I've met and called my friend in the navy.
(From Boot Camp)Scott Griffhorst, Andy Sims, (From A-School)Timothy Cahoe, Jordan King, John Hagan,(From here in Yoko) Yonnas Alemayehu, Shane, McCall, Jason Jones, Dung Pham, and William Swiderski are all people that I call friends and I would do the same for them with the bond that we served together and knowing that we would go down fighting together, even though I'm an IT and probably will never see that happen. haha but you know what I mean. Two people though mostly stand out to me would have to be Stinger and my main homie Renish. It's crazy how well I get along with these dudes. It's that desire to want to be great.
Stinger, wanted to serve his country do something would make his family, his country and himself proud, he wanted to be a Seal, he didn't make it his first time around, and after working out with him a few times, I know there is no way in hell I would ever even want to make it, those workouts are WAAAAY too intense to be doing EVERY SINGLE DAY! I hung in there for awhile, but it was only the beginning and shit was getting harder every week. That guy is going to make it, he has to. It means too much to him.
And Renish is like, seriously, he's equivilent to the best friends I've had my entire life. We got similar game plans for our lives too. We're gonna try to get out go to the same college, basically do something that has to do with music and the culture of our generation and that makes an impact and spreads the desire for people to stop being so fuckin stupid and open their eyes. To start wanting to be knowledgeable again. And something that makes us filthy rich.. DUH!. It's tough to explain but he will always be one of my best friends for sure.

Point of the blog is: Like my Dad said, I spent barely any time with these guys but they somehow are some of the best friends I'll ever have known. It's pretty awesome and I can't wait to see them all again one day.


left to right: King, Ashley Darlington (The girls can be cool too), Renish
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Cahoe crazy Redhead from Kentucky
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Hagan
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Stinger
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Oh and congratulations to Stinger and Cahoe for making IT3 so soon.

1 comment:

  1. Im glad all is going well bro and I'm glad you are starting to feel that sense of camaraderie. That is something I'm lookifng forward to. I am already feeling that way with some of the dudes in my flight, but I don't know how real it is since we're still just here in college. But even the other AF guys I met when I was sent to D.C. are still homies and will be when I see them again. I'm proud of you brother. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete